Talking about meringue cake, in Italy, there are many different versions, even based on ice cream.
Many times the meringue is dried and is coupled with the whipped cream.
The recipe that I propose here, is from the great Cipriani, the owner of the famous Harry’s Bar in Venice.
You can prepare this recipe in one of our cooking classes.
- 125g (1 cup) flour
- 125g (2/3 cup) sugar
- 4 medium eggs (room temperature)
- 3 egg yolks
- 60g (1/4 cup) sugar
- 1/2 vanilla stick or equivalent vanilla extract
- 1/2 lemon peel
- 15g (2 tablespoons) cornstarch
- 150g (3/4 cup) whole milk
- 350g (1 and 1/2 cups) heavy cream (cold)
- pastry cream (see above)
- 200g (1 cup) sugar
- 4 egg whites (room temperature)
- 1 lemon juice
- Preheat the oven at 180°C (350°F) and start preparing the sponge cake. Put the eggs and sugar in the mixer bowl and whip until the color becomes pale yellow.
- In the meantime, sift the flour and grease the cake pan with the butter.
- Pour the flour into the eggs/sugar mixture and gently mix using a spatula.
- Pour the sponge cake mix into the cake pan, level the surface. Bake for 25 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare the pastry cream. Peel the half lemon, pour the milk into a saucepan, add the lemon peel, and heat until it almost boils.
- Put the egg yolks in a bowl, add sugar, cornstarch and vanilla. Mix using a whisk.
- Pour the hot milk into the bowl, mix and pour back into the saucepan.
- Heat the mixture over low heat until it becomes thick. Remove quickly from the heat and pour again into the bowl using the spatula, use the whisk to have a smooth cream, let it cool down. Remove the lemon peel from the pastry cream.
- Pour the heavy cream into the mixer bowl, that you previously cleaned carefully, whip the cream until stiff. Add the pastry cream and mix until the cream is homogeneous.
- Remove the sponge cake from the pan, slice it horizontally into four layers.
- Assemble the cake, put one layer of sponge cake on the serving dish, spread a third of the cream on top of the sponge cake, repeat the process with the other layers, terminating with the sponge cake.
- Prepare the meringue: pour the egg white into the mixer bowl, that you previously cleaned carefully, whip until they begin to incorporate some air, add one-third of the sugar, whip again until it begins to become stiff, add another third of sugar, continue to whip, add the remaining sugar and lemon juice, whip again until completely stiff.
- Spread the cake with the meringue on top and on the sides using a spatula.
- Using the torch, caramelize the surface of the meringue a little.
- Reserve the cake in the fridge until the serving time.
Mixer with wire whip
Round cake pan 22cm (9 inch)
two bowls 9 inches or bigger.
The Cipriani meringue cake can be kept in the fridge for one day.
If you need to convert the measurement units or scale this recipe, please copy the url of this recipe and visit this page