This sweet and sour dish from Sicily is one of the famous Italian original vegan dishes.
Depending on the other courses of your meal, this could be an appetizer, or a side dish or even a main dish.
You can prepare this recipe in one of our cooking classes.
And if you want to end your vegan meal with a dessert, check out these luxurious Christmas coconut and rum snowballs or, if you prefer a gluten-free dessert, check out these Healthy Vegan Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies.
- 1 kg Eggplants
- 3 stalks Celery
- 250 g Onions
- 100 g Pitted Black olives
- 50 g Capers in salt or in brine
- 60 g Pine nuts
- 500 g diced canned tomatoes
- 50 g Sugar
- 50 g White wine vinegar
- 6 Basil leaves
- Rock salt
- salt and pepper
- Dice the eggplants 1,5-2 cm size, put them on a colander, sprinkle some rock salt in between, this will force the bitter liquid that is inside to exit, put a weight on top, leave it for min 2 hours, then brush away the salt and remember that you will need little or no salt later in the recipe.
- If you don't have time for the previous step, you can omit it, but when you will fry the eggplants, you will not obtain the same result.
- In a pan put the pine nuts and let them brown a little to release the flavour, reserve them in a small bowl.
- In the same pan put some EVOO and fry the eggplants, for a 10-15 minutes until they brown a little, reserve them in a bowl.
- Cut celery in 1-2 cm pieces, put it in boiling salted water for 3-4 minutes, drain and let it dry, then briefly fry it in the pan with some EVOO, reserve it. in a small bowl
- Rinse capers to remove the salt, cut olives in pieces.
- In the same pan put some EVOO and the diced onion, let it brown a bit, add tomatoes and let cook for 10 min, then add sugar and vinegar, stir 1 minute to evaporate the vinegar, add the other ingredients and some basil leaves, stir to mix all together 1-2 minutes,
- Caponata is ready, let it cool a little bit and serve.
If you need to convert the measurement units or scale this recipe, please copy the url of this recipe and visit this page